La Grande Traversee des Alpes
La Grande Traversee des Alpes is a 14 day stage race that starts near Geneva at Thonon-les-Bains on Lac Leman and finishes in Menton on the Mediterranean Sea.
- The race is run in 14 consecutive days, approximately a mountain marathon each day. A typical stage is 45 km long with 2800 meters
elevation gain. The total distance is about 650 km and over 30,000 meters up/down.
- The race course uses the French national trail system, following the GR5 trail and variants. Course markings are essentially the permanent trail markings, with very few race-specific markings.
- Scenery is slendid and varied, from alpine lakes and glaciers, mountain vistas, views of Alps in all directions, high meadows, deep
valleys, waterfalls, and finally, the Mediterranean Sea.
- Race entry includes lodging in gites, breakfast and dinner each day, baggage transport, one mid-course aid station per day, access to medical and massage assistance each evening, and course maps.
- Registration deadline is usually at the end of July.
- It is possible to enter only half of the race (the northern or southern section).
- The course in 2006 and 2008 is as follows:
ALPES DU NORD
- 8/31 : Thonon les Bains-La Chapelle d'Abondance : 45km, 2700m+
- 9/1 : La Chapelle d'Abondance-Samoëns : 45km, 2130m+
- 9/2 : Samoëns-Les Houches : 48km, 2730m+
- 9/3 : Les Houches-Le Plan de la Lai : 40km, 2550m+
- 9/4 : Le Plan de la Lai-Refuge de Rosuel(porte du parc de la Vanoise): 38km, 2020m
- 9/5 : Refuge de Rosuel-Pralognan la Vanoise : 43km, 2080m+
- 9/6 : Pralognan la Vanoise-Modane Valfrejus : 38km, 1930m+
ALPES DU SUD
- 9/7 : Valfréjus-Montgenevre : 45km, 3000m+
- 9/8 : Montgenevre-Ceillac (Queyras): 45km, 1930m+
- 9/9 : Ceillac-Larche (Ubaye): 42km, 2420m+
- 9/10 : Larche-Roya (Mercantour): 45km, 2330m+
- 9/11 : Roya-St Martin de Vésubie : 47km, 2200m+
- 9/12 : St Martin de Vésubie-refuge des Merveilles : 50km, 3000m+
- 9/13 : Refuge des Merveilles-Menton : 45km, 1690m+
- Ususally takes place in August-September
Event Updates for 2010
- The 5th edition of the race will be held in 2010. Race information:
- Race dates are August 16-29, 2010
- Registration deadline is December 31, 2009
- Entry fee is 1300 Euros for 14 days, or 700 Euros for either week 1 or week 2
- The race route will be similar to the route in 2006 and 2008