Dean Karnazes, having just completed 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 days finishing at the NYC marathon November 5th 2006, is running back to San Francisco.
Dean Karnazes (b. Constantine Karnazes August 23, 1962), is a Greek-American ultramarathon runner, and author of Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner which details ultra endurance running for the general public.
At first, Karnazes ran direct routes from school to his home. Later, he began to run diversionary routes that would extend his run and take him into uncharted territory. By third grade he was participating in and organizing short running events with other kids. As Karnazes grew older, he began testing his limits: by age eleven he had hiked rim-to-rim across the Grand Canyon and had climbed Mount Whitney, the highest mountain in the contiguous United States; by age 12 he cycled 40 miles for fun.
In 1995, Karnazes founded Energy Well Natural Foods in San Francisco and he remains president of the company, now called Good Health Natural Foods. He holds graduate degrees in Science and Business.
Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner | publisher = Penguin | year = 2006 | id = ISBN 1-58542-278-9
Racing and endurance
Significant race wins:
- 2004 Badwater UltramarathonBadwater Ultramarathon, 2004 results
- 2006 Vermont 100 Mile Endurance RunVermont 100-mile Enurance Run, 2006 results
- 128.75 miles in 24 hours on treadmill in NY (2007)
- 350 miles in 80 hours and 44 minutes without stopping (2005)North Face article
- North Face Endurance 50: fifty marathons in fifty U.S. states in fifty consecutive days
- inaugural South Pole Marathon in running shoes]]
- 148 miles in 24 hours on a treadmill (2004) Chapman Logic
- single-handedly completed the 199 mile Providian Saturn Relay six times
- 1000-Mile/10 Day Buckleholder at the The Western States Endurance RunWestern States Endurance Run recordholders (i.e., better than ten twenty-four hour finishes. Note: Karnazes current count is 11 finishes in less than twenty-four hours each)
Other endurance accomplishments:
- swimming across the San Francisco Bay